Members and guests recently joined us to taste a variety of dry Rieslings, perfect for a hot summer day. It was a great opportunity to focus on one varietal and learn from Mark Rashap as he shared spectacular bottles from all over the world - even a few donated by a member and not easily available!
Majestic Dry Riesling
Riesling is one of the most acclaimed of the white grapes, but it is still widely misunderstood. There are versions that span the entire sweetness spectrum, but for our June class, we explored the dry versions from all over the world. From the Rheingau in Germany, to the Clare Valley in Australia, there was something for everybody in this tasting!
The June educational tasting list included:
- Maximin Grünhäuser QBA Trocken Mosel 2014
- Rebholz Estate Trocken Pfalz 2015
- Brooks "Ara" Riesling Willamette Valley 2012
- Dr. Frank Dry Riesling Finger Lakes 2015
- Prager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd Austria 2015
- Schäfer-Fröhlich Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg GG 2013
- Pewsey Vale "Les Contours" Museum Reserve Eden Valley 2011
- Trimbach "Frederic Emile" Alsace 2006