The Wines of Austria
Austrian wine has a long history dating back to the Celts and Romans. Powered by the mighty Danube River, the country’s wines developed through a combination of monastic orders, river trade access, agricultural breakthroughs and ‘a little scandalous activity.’ In this class, we will talk about the history, geography, and important grapes of this country. We will be tasting 6 still, dry wines that will give you a snapshot into this viticultural powerhouse. The class will be taught by two of the lead sommeliers at High Street Wine Co (SATX), Austin Tabbone, Manager and Beverage Leader, and Scott Ota, General Manager and Beverage Director.
- 2019 Schlosskellerei Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Kamptal -$17.50
- 2018 Weingut Weszeli Riesling Ried Loisenberg Kamptal Terrafactum – $22.50
- 2018 Bernhard Ott Gemischter Satz – $24.99
- 2018 Moric Blaufränkisch Burgenland Moric – $29.99
- 2017 Weingut Per Schneider Zweigelt – $17.50
Guidelines for Purchase
- The Austin Wine Merchant is currently serving customers via contactless curbside pickup for safety – please order in advance. Email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org or call to (512) 499-0512 by 12pm, Tuesday, April 20, 2021 to bill your order to your Visa, MasterCard or Discover. It’s possible that some wines may sell out before the event, so place your order early to guarantee your full set.
- After The Austin Wine Merchant notifies you that your order is ready, you may pick up your wines anytime Monday – Saturday 10:00 AM – 6:30 PM. (Off street parking is available on the right just before the shop – a tawny brick building with red awning.) Call 512.499.0512 when you arrive in the parking lot, and they will bring your wines out to you.
- Discounts: When ordering wines for the tasting, you may want to consider ordering additional wines to access these discounts. Mixed 6-pack: 7.5% discount; Mixed 12-pack: 10% discount; Full case of the same wine: 15% discount.
- You will find their current wine & spirits offering at the following link (https://bit.ly/3eEj56r)., You may browse their full wine collection regionally by clicking on the “Quick Links to Wines of the World” button at the top of their website (www.theaustinwinemerchant.com)
Class will be hosted via Zoom. Registrants will receive an email with the meeting link Wednesday morning.
Participants will be required to purchase at least one of the wines to receive the Zoom link for the tasting.
Please note: These sessions are being recorded for marketing purposes.
About the IMBIBE Series
IMBIBE means to consume or absorb – and that’s exactly what you’ll do in our classes . . . consume and absorb wine, food, and knowledge. IMBIBE takes place every week, alternating between Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6pm (unless otherwise noted). These classes are a ton of fun and loaded with great education! Our members have told us that Wednesdays and Thursdays are their favorite days of the week because they love these virtual tastings so much!